Frequently Asked Questions

Common Environmental Health and Safety Compliance Questions

What is CERS and does the required reporting apply to my company?

If your company uses hazardous materials and purchases them in larger containers in the following amounts:

→ 55 gallon drums for liquid,
→ 200 cubic feet for compressed gases,
→ 500 pounds for solids.

Then CERS reporting is applicable, even if the containers are empty.

What is the difference between CUPA and CERS?

California is divided up into CUPAs and PAs = Consolidated Unified Program Agency’s and their Participating Agencies (subdivisions). Most are also the Fire Department or Environmental Health entity in the county or city in which your facility is located. These agencies are charged with keeping an inventory of hazardous materials among other related responsibilities [haz waste, underground storage tanks (UST), aboveground storage tanks (AST), spill prevention, emergency response, etc.] These agencies (CUPAS and PAs) are now using an online system to maintain accurate inventory of the Haz Mat Business Planning process known as the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS).

Can you do my CERS reporting for me?

Absolutely! All EHI needs is to be made a data entry person (or inputter) by you the data submitter, SDSs (MSDSs) for the compounds you store and use in equal to or exceeding the amounts in question 1, and a drawing of your facility.

Do I need a SPCC Plan?

If your company stores or has on property oil (hydrocarbons, its derivatives, even vegetable oil) in any single container or aggregation of containers above 1,320 gallons which could if spilled contact navigable waters of the US, therefore, you must prepare a SPCC plan. The size of the oil containers in use can assist with determining which “tier” SPCC plan is to be developed. The SPCC plan once developed must only be submitted if requeseted a CUPA, CalEPA, USEPA or can be driven by the spill history of your facility.

Can you prepare a SPCC Plan for me?

Unquestionably! To get started all EHI needs is an inventory of your oil tanks or containers, some input from your organization regarding spill prevention and response capabilities, plus a drawing of your facility.

Do I need an air permit?

This will depend on the type and size of emitting device, and which air district your facility is in. Provide certain data and EHI can either document an exemption from permit or prepare the needed application package. EHI hassecured permits for 100’s of pieces of equipment throughout California and the Southwestern U.S.!

Can you do my SMARTS reporting for me?

Indubitably! You will need to make EHI a data entry entity (data entry person), but you remain the data submitter. Answer a few questions, provide  a site drawing plus some existing storm water flow and discharge quality data if available.

Environmental HELP

EHI is a full service environmental consulting firm, founded in 1989 to assist California businesses in managing their ever more complex regulatory compliance requirements.

Environmental HELP